Built from 25th Sept-12th Oct though has been in the 3D editing stage since mid-summer. I'm glad he's done but it will probably be the last character for now. I've done most of the guys I like and will have much less time in 2012 if my career plans go anywhere.
Follow the download link below to get the resources you need to print and build your own version! The notes file and comments on PDO/PDF #1 contain additional information that you should read.
Retrospective: I love how the head turned out and if I recall, it was a satisfying project overall. The proportions of Garrus look better in game.
-------Read Before Downloading-------
It's a 37.4MB RAR file which contains PDFs and PDOs to print from or use as references. 27 pages, 278 pieces including his Mantis sniper rifle. Just one colour scheme, in his pre-scar state, much more photogenic before he got a missile to the face. Stands at a formidable ~48.5cm tall. Why yes he even has teeth.
You can open the RAR archive with software such as WinRAR, Alzip, 7Zip. Just search around!
You can open the PDO files with Pepakura Viewer downloadable free here: www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en…
Please do use this as it's immensely helpful as a resource and will show you exactly where parts go. Almost essential for a model of this complexity. It doesn't work on Macs unfortunately though.
Difficulty: 9.25/10 (Holy dooley! Make sure you know what you're doing )
1. Click Download File in the top right
2. Mediafire mirror www.mediafire.com/?k1zklyw7qog…
Template by me, original 3D data and textures by BioWare
:thumb184682303::thumb199259421: :thumb239840209: :thumb309163604: :thumb329341486:
Also check out DaiShiHUN's ME3 Garrus!
Some info/tips for others who may also want to make this:
* I used 150 gsm card stock and it was perfect except for the fingers, parts of the weapon and the narrow spines on the head
* For the fingers i used 100 gsm which is like heavy printer paper and though it is softer when the glue is wet, it's much easier to make the small spaces.
* Really no need to precrease as Chris mentions. Most of the model folds smoothly and some pre-creases can leave marks on the model
* I spent just under 60 hours building this! Lots of fun, but make sure you have time if you have a deadline in mind
* Really needed to look in Pepakura Viewer for some of the details as there are some gaps and minor mistakes in the instructions
Now looking for the next model to make...
The amount of pre-creasing/folding/shaping is a variable thing. Ultimately I can only write based off what I experienced and a bit of guesswork to what else could be troublesome. I only get 1 chance to take progress photos and it's shamefully easy to forget to do so. I hope my instructions have improved over time though! (arguably better than none at all, which is the case with most templates )
Still, instructions or not, I recommend everyone to use the PDO files.
If you can build this one, any of my others should be fairly easy!
People usually recommend cardstock or thick paper between 120-200gsm, although I'm never sure how that converts to the US basis weight exactly.
Any advice will help and be greatly appreciated!
Hello there, glue guns are technically a possibility and they've been mentioned in a papercrafting guide I'm helping to work on at the Nintendo Papercraft blog. Personally I think they are overkill for the requirements of small models as cheap, thick PVA glue works wonders and is probably less of a hassle to work with. So you don't necessarily need anything fancy there!
Just make sure whatever you use doesn't make the ink run on printed paper (probably more of a problem with gels).
Past projects have taught me human faces from 'realistic' games are very hard to edit without them looking a bit off. Also I've had trouble in the past with anything to do with long hair.
Well there's a lot of guys out there though being honest I've done all of my favourites now. There's a Legion model on the way from DaiShiHUN (he's also done Grunt) but I think my most likely choice now is ME3 Tali since she was my first back in 2010 and I can do a much better job with the textures these days.
I didn't intend for these to be upscaled for cosplay/prop purposes so they are likely not well shaped or proportioned for wearing. However I know a few people, such as this guy: [link] who has used parts of my templates as a basis for his outfits. So...I guess it can be done, but likely more effort is involved than just building a bigger version.
The rest should be easier, if only for being bigger pieces but points of difficulty exist in the raised armour details on the legs (there's no 'good' order) and the multiple stepped trims on the lower body (lots of thin strips and 90 degree angles).